Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Catch of the Day!



August 1st, 2011
Grilled Salmon, Corn on the Cob, Panzanella, and Lemon Jasmati Rice.
It was another beautiful day here in West Michigan, and I was anxious to spend our evening outside. It was a perfect night for Wild Salmon! I could grill it outside so the house wouldn't smell like fish, and it would be yummy! The fresh corn at farmer's market right now is so good, I've been sneaking that in often before it's gone. Also, I've had some leftover french bread that we toasted in the oven just sitting here waiting for garden tomatoes! Tonight I decided it was time and made a pananzella with the leftover bread and fresh tomatoes. It was so good I almost ruined my dinner nibbling at it all afternoon! :0)
Here are the (not true recipes, more of suggestions) recipes I used tonight:
Grilled Salmon - I marinate the salmon (tonight's was a white balsamic basil citrus) and then grill it skin side up at first. Make sure you oil the grill! I think you get better grill marks this way. I threw some lemon slices on top after I flipped it.
Lemon Jasmati Rice - My kids prefer Jasmati or Basmati rice, so that is what we usually have. Tonight, I wanted it to have just a hint of flavor and something light to go with the salmon. As the rice boiled, I threw in several lemon slices to give it just a hint of lemon.
Grilled Corn on the Cob - this is my new favorite way of doing corn! I soak the corn in the husks for several hours. Then I throw them on the grill (indirect heat or top shelf), and let them cook for 30 minutes or so. Once you pull them off the grill, let them sit for a few minutes, then husk. All the corn silk peels away with the husks!
Panzanella - all I can say is YUM. This is one of my favorite ways to enjoy fresh garden tomatoes! There are many different versions, and recipes. It really depends on what you have on hand and what flavors you feel like. As I said earlier, I am on a big fresh corn kick, so ours had fresh corn in it tonight as well. I doubled the amount of balsamic/honey, and added a little bit of mozzarella for protein. I did not refrigerate this, but let it blend on the counter.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Love the new ideas -- I'll have to try the Panzanella. (Never had it before!)

    ReplyDelete